The benefits of Carnitine for a healthy lifestyle are vast.
So, what is Carnitine?
Carnitine is a quaternary ammonium compound bio-synthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. In living cells, it is required for the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria during the breakdown of lipids (fats) for the generation of metabolic energy.
What does this all mean?
Carnitine is a powerful natural nutrient, the highest concentrations of it are found in red meat. It can help us create a healthier lifestyle. I consider it one of my top 5 most important daily supplements to take.
Listed below are some of the benefits derived from taking a Carnitine supplement on a daily basis:
1. It helps the heart by improving cardiac function, improves efficiency, repairs damaged tissue and prevents further deterioration of the heart muscle. Several clinical trials have shown that Carnitine, used along with conventional treatment for angina, may improve the ability of those with angina to exercise without chest pain.
2. It helps skeletal muscle by restoring more glycogen and assisting with the mitochondria’s job to make more energy. In the course of human aging, Carnitine concentration in cells diminishes, affecting fatty acid metabolism in various tissues. Particularly adversely affected are bones, which require continuous reconstructive and metabolic functions of osteoblasts for maintenance of bone mass.
3. It improves exercise performance, mental energy/clarity, and motivation. It may delay the onset of age related cognitive decline and may improve overall neurotransmitter function in the elderly. It also protects the brain from damage due to poor circulation and helps to repair injured nerve cells. A number of studies have demonstrated positive effects of Carnitine supplementation in Alzheimer’s patients, especially with regard to tasks that involve concentration and attention.
[From Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, and best-selling author of The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth]
4. Stacked with omega 3 fish oil, it produces quicker fat loss than with omega 3’s alone. It is responsible for the transport of fats into the cells to be used for energy in the body. By raising the level of muscle Carnitine, you support the fat burning process. It also improves recovery, minimizes muscle damage, and lowers inflammation.
5. Carnitine supplementing has been shown to substantially improve memory function, mood and reaction to stress.
6. It restores and maintains good sexual function, especially in men over the age of 40. It has also shown some promise in male infertility. The literature shows using Carnitine at 3g daily appears to increase sperm quality, mostly related to sperm morphology.
7. A decrease in blood glucose has been noted with Carnitine supplementation.
- Never take Carnitine after 3:00 p.m. because it energizes your brain and may affect your ability to sleep.
- It will require daily use from 3 to 6 months to see noticeable results.