UNDERSTANDING BRAIN NUTRITION & NUTRIENTS FOR OPTIMAL HEALTH
There is no denying that the brain is the most important organ in your body. Our brains perform critical tasks to help us grow, learn and maintain proper health but how often do we think about brain nutrition and the possibility of vital nutrient deficiencies?
In order to maintain proper brain nutrition we must understand how the brain works and what it requires for optimal function. Let’s first begin by discussing neurotransmitters, which are the chemicals that communicate information throughout our brain and body. The brain uses neurotransmitters to tell your heart to beat, your lungs to breathe, and your stomach to digest. Take a look at how deficiencies in the following neurotransmitters can negatively affect your health:
- Acetylcholine: Difficulties with memory, problem solving and cognitive processes
- GABA: Nervousness, headaches chronic pain, neuro degenerative problems
- Dopamine/norepinephrine: focus and attention issues addictive behaviors, neuromuscular problems, restless leg problems, fibromyalgia
- Serotonin: lack of motivation, feeling blue, low sex drive, female specific issues (more intense PMS/menopause)
Fortunately, there are ways to restore brain chemistry and balance through nutrition and supplementation. These key nutrients alone can play a large role in improving brain health:
- Ginko: dilates blood vessels to increase blood flow to the brain, protects against radiation damage after cancer treatment, anti-stress qualities that can help relieve anxiety/epileptic disorders, better concentration and enhancement of learning, supports improved short-term memory, repairs DNA, improves children’s reaction time, helps protect the nervous system.
- Bacopa: improves memory development and concentration, provides relief to those with anxiety or epileptic disorders, supports good brain health, improves speed and processing of the brain
- Acetyl Carnitine: increases number and sensitivity of androgen receptors, improves cognition by increasing acetylcholine, enhances cerebral and cardiovascular blood flow, increases dopamine activity and drive, increased potency when combined with green tea
Knowing your brain chemistry is the key to living life to your greatest potential At BBCT we use a variety of questionnaires to pinpoint your dominant and deficient neurotransmitters. If you are curious about what your brain chemistry is doing, please ask us about taking the Braverman Nature Assessment by Erc. R. Braverman during your next BioSignature meeting. Once we isolate your deficient neurotransmitters, we can then teach you how to balance these through nutrition and nutrient supplementation. If supplements work best for you, we can also provide you with instructions for proper dosage and timing.